The Difference Between Blogger and Blogspot

Blogger and Blogspot are sometimes considered the same. As when people visit www.blogger.com and www.blogspot.com they meet the same website. Some people then wonder what the difference between the two is. If your are longing for the answer of the same question, here is your answer.

Blogger (www.blogger.com) is a free publishing platform owned by the giant company Google. A publishing platform means a comprehensive tool to publish articles and web-pages in a domain / website. Therefore, users don’t have to use the old school file transfer protocol (FTP) to run their websites, the platform takes care of everything.

This platform does not have to be used with Blogspot, it can also be used with any other custom domain (such as www.yourname.com). The system is similar to Worpress.ORG: free publishing platform.

Blogspot (www.blogspot.com) is a free domain service provider owned by the same giant: Google. The free domain provided is actually a sub domain (like example.blogspot.com). This company is to support Blogger in delivering free blogging service.

When we visit www.blogspot.com, we are redirected to www.blogger.com, because Blogspot service can only be accessed with Blogger. We cannot use Blogspot with any other publishing platform. This is believed to be the marketing tactic of Google to support their branch company one another.

In summary, Blogger is a free publishing platform, while Blogspot is a free domain service provider. Blogspot have to be used with Blogger, but Blogger doesn’t have to be used with Blogspot. However, both are designed to work together in providing free blogging experience for their users.

14 comments:

FunPhotoEditor said...

Nice post Issac, I like your blog. Keep writing. Good luck.

Isaac Yassar said...

@F.P.E: Thanks.

Manda The Magnificent said...

jeeze google loves confusing us. thanks for the clear up though. i was just curious on the difference, googled (ha, imagine that) and this came up =]

gm777 said...

Thanks Isaac,
I was confused with this topic, and now I know the differences

Sarah said...

Thank you, that was very helpful. I wonder why they don't just explain this when they re-direct you to the other site. It is very confusing.

Cristina said...

Cheers

catatonicinmyhead said...

hahaha. i googled the question too

she said...

when i click "create blog", does it create my blog at blogger.com or blogspot.com?
I'd want it to be at blogspot.com, any suggestion?

Isaac Yassar said...

@she: Hi she, it's on blogspot.com .

JackieD said...

Ah... well, honestly I don't totally get it. No matter, don't atempt to explain it to me, I was just confused because I thought I sighned up for Blogger, but my blogs website ended in .blogspot.com, so I wanted to make sure they were related, and I wasn't horibly confused.

Thanks Isaac!

VocaloidFan said...

lol thanks i got really confused!!!

Jamie said...

Thanks for the help, I've often wondered what the difference was and the effect of these differences.

To clarify, if I was to tell people to visit my blog, do I tell them to go to the .blogger.com URL or the .blogspot URL?

My email is on my account if you want to send a reply that way :)

Jan said...

Very clear explanation.

Anonymous said...

thanks! i was confused haha! x